As we grow older we are faced with making a number of important decisions. These decisions can impact our quality of life, dignity, financial security and relationships. Some of these decisions are quite complex and can often require legal advice to ensure you make the right decision …. for both you and your family.
Devenish Lawyers can assist the ageing population with services specifically tailored to them and their families. Not only can we assist you with your Wills and the appointment of alternate decision makers in the event of incapacity, we can assist with your future accommodation requirements at either a Retirement Village or Nursing Homes and any associated disputes relating to your accommodation.
With the growth of the ageing population, there is a need for legal assistance and expertise tailored to you and your families.
Devenish Lawyers can assist you with the preparation of your Wills and the appointment of alternate decision makers in the event of incapacity.
We also have the expertise to assist with the following matter:-
Retirement Village / Aged Care
Our team at Devenish Lawyers are very experienced in providing advice should you decide to move into a Retirement Village or an Aged Care facility.
Elder Financial Abuse
Elder financial abuse is the illegal or improper use of a person’s property, bank accounts or other assets. It often occurs between an older person and a family member, or a friend or carer.
Examples of financial abuse occur where an older person is not aware of, or has not provided informed consent, for some of the following:
- Withdrawing money from an older person’s bank or credit card
- Sale of an older person’s property, or transferring an older person’s property into joint names with a friend, carer or family member
- Using an older person’s property to obtain a mortgage or finance
- Encouraging an older person to sell their home or lend money, with a promise of looking after them for life or providing them with alternative accommodation and failing to do so
- The use of an enduring power of attorney to carry out transactions that are not for the benefit of the older person
- Taking advantage of an older person for financial gain
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation